Celebrating a Century 1915-2015
4980 Heege Road, Affton, MO 63123
Saint George Catholic Church
A Timeline History of St. George Parish
1915The parish of St. George in Gardenville was established by Fr. John Waeltermann. He began serving in July and stayed for one year, during which time the original church was built on Seibert at Gravois. The cost of the first church building was over $4,000, including other improvements. 1916The parish school was opened, with classes held at three different locations. 1917The first church building was completed in September. On August 15th, the cornerstone for a new school building was laid. The cost for the fully equipped school was $26,000. 1919Parish membership had grown to 260 members. 1921The first convent was purchased. 1926Auditorium, bowling alleys and additional rooms built across the street from the new church. 1927The original little church on Gravois and Siebert was torn down. The cornerstone for the present church building at Gravois and Heege was laid and then dedicated in 1928. 1934Convent was enlarged. 1953New school and convent cornerstone laid (now Parish Center). 1954New school and convent completed, followed by an addition that doubled the building size. 2004St. George School was merged into St. Dominic Savio School. 2009Old Gym was demolished. 2010Dedication of new Parish Center and Affton Christian Food Pantry. 2014Parking lot replaced and Memorial Brickwork started. 2015Year-long celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the founding of the Parish. 2017St. George Parish and St. Dominic Savio Parish became 'Twins'
(opens in new window)
Reverend Paul Rothschild's Installation Mass, March 19, 2017
(left to right) Deacon John Beckmann, Rev. Tom Robertson, Msgr. Hambrough, Deacon Len Sisul, Rev. Paul Rothschild